The Cowpasture River Preservation Association (CRPA) was created in 1972 for the expressed purpose of preserving the Cowpasture River and its tributaries. In its March 2016 meeting, the CRPA Board of Directors noted that the Association has conscientiously tracked the progress of the Atlantic Coast Pipeline application before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and before the U. S. Forest Service for somewhat over 21 months. In that time frame, the Cowpasture River Preservation Association has contributed to the greater public dialogue with science-based analyses of the threats posed by the construction of a 42” in diameter natural gas pipeline in two areas of critical concern – i.e., the erosion of soil, debris and rock in rugged mountainous terrain, and the threats to surface and ground water quality in karst topography. Both water quality issues devolve from the essence of our corporate charter and represent the vital concerns of our membership who are primarily riparian landowners.
SELECTED INTERNET WEBSITES FOR INFORMED DECISION-MAKING:
- Allegheny-Blue Ridge Alliance - A consolidated source of information and news about the pipeline.
- Dominion Pipeline Monitoring Coalition (DPMC) - The best source hands-down for substantive content.
- George Washington/Jefferson National Forests - A prime information source about pipeline oversight by the U.S. Forest Service.
- Appalachian Mountain Advocates - A not-for-profit law firm active in water quality issues, pipeline, fracking, and climate change.
- Dominion Resources, "Atlantic Coast Pipeline" - A primary source for route information and filings. Straight from the horse's mouth.
- Augusta County Alliance - The most respected conservation group to the east in Augusta County.
- Eight Rivers Council - The most respected conservation group to the west in Pocahontas County.
- Friends of Nelson County - An excellent example of a local grass-roots organization in action.
- Voices from Bath - Dedicated to a fight that stops the Atlantic Coast Pipeline.
- Downstream Strategies - A private consultancy hugely active in the water resources arena.
TOPOGRAPHIC AND AERIAL MAPS: